14.3.06

Why Zeul is staying in Flanders - interview with Holodian info-chanel


I often ask myself: 'what I am doing here?' Gent - http://www.use-it.be/gent/eng/
Yes, I love my job, - but people...We shouldn't paint entire nation in one colour - there are cultural tendencies, based on history - ages of farming, occupations by foreign forces, and fighting "city against city" and finally Catholicism. There are practically no natural reserves in the country, so everything is done with enormous difficulties and requires a lot of work. Sometimes they simply have no time for friendship or something else, and still somehow they manage to do some activities after day of hard work.
and amazing enough - the economy is doing well. But this is the core of the problem - in countries with developed economy - life standard is too high and they just want more and more - hugging strangers is out the of question in this rat race ;)
Just look at how many bills and loans they have to pay. Then you will understand. Even unemployed people manage to have oversized houses and cars. Yes, they are not very "frisky"even a hug or kiss is considered to be strange (unless everybody is drunk, of course - with the excellent Belgium beer).
.Be honest with them - they will appreciate it. They are super polite, so you never know what is behind a "friendly" smile. We are all made of a flesh and blood and there are nice exceptions in every culture (I am trying to find a few one here... if not - I will go away).
Consider "mysterious Russian soul", like my russian friend Kirill (whom even Russians can't understand :) ) - or the famous "Spanish temperament" (as my Spanish girlfriend) as just a different culture, but even East and West Flemish are completely different, not mention Walloon people...
We are living in big global village and if you want a warm hug then go to Russia or Thailand -( this things are not for free here ;) ) .

And above all - I like this country and I like these people, maybe more than they like me, or they just do not know any way of showing it ;).

Thank you for your interest and I hope you enjoyed interviewing me.
Zeul over and out, for now ;)

No comments: